Our Roller Training Program Details And Requirements.
Our Roller Operations course is designed to give students the skills and practical experience necessary to operate a roller in multiple work environments. Our highly knowledgeable trainers at Emerald offer a detailed training plan in a small class setting.
Rollers are used for compacting materials through vibration, impact loading, kneading, and direct pressure. Depending on the project and the materials to be compacted, there are a variety of different rollers that can be used such as a cylindrical roller, a smooth wheeled roller, a vibratory roller to name a few.
The roller licence in Brisbane will provide you with the necessary tools for planning and preparing a job for roller operations, conducting pre-start operational checks before carrying out work activities, adjusting roller equipment when necessary, shutting down and parking the roller in a safe location, conducting post operational checks, relocating the roller to a designated area and finally ensuring the work area is clean and free from hazards.
All aspects of this course will be taught at our on-site Roller training facility in Brisbane through written and practical teachings to get a roller ticket. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Hazard identification and environmental issues
- Risk assessment and implementation of control measures
- Personal protective equipment requirements
- Safe operating techniques of the roller
- Routine before and after operational checks
- Roller attachments and their capabilities and limitations
- Shutdown procedures of the roller
- Maintenance checks and isolation procedures
- Relocation of the roller and relevant traffic management requirements
- Ground conditions and the characteristics of various materials
- Earthwork calculations
- WHS legislation, relevant standards and site policies and procedures
The successful candidate will have the knowledge and practical experience to carry out the following;
- Identify hazards and apply the necessary control measures using the hierarchy of control
- Report all workplace hazards and environmental issues
- Operate a roller using the various techniques to suit the job
- Conduct all routine checks to ensure the safe operations of the roller
- Complete various tasks including compacting different types of materials and sealing and finishing
- Ability to adjust roller equipment such as interchangeable drums, spray bars, drag brooms and blades
- Ensure all plant and equipment faults are tagged and report accordingly
- Relocate roller from site to site adhering to the relevant traffic management codes
- Knowledgeable of the various soil types, compaction methods and ground conditions.
- Interpret site drawings and plans, and perform earthwork calculations
- Communicate effectively with workplace personnel and ensure visual communication such as signs and barriers are put in place
- Record and maintain data relevant to all roller operations
- Comply with all safety regulations, legislation and workplace policies and procedures
On successful completion of this course, you will have the ability to operate a range of different rollers including drum rollers, vibrating rollers and combination rollers in compliance with all relevant safety legislation.
Our highly skilled trainers at Emerald will ensure you are confident in carrying out roller operations in a range of different work environments, preparing you for future employment in multiple industries including construction, mining and agriculture.