The purpose of our water cart training “Conduct water vehicle operations” is to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to carry out water cart operations across many industries in Australia, specifically the construction and mining industries. At Emerald we have developed a detailed training plan with an emphasis on health and safety, for students in a small class setting.
A water cart is primarily used on construction sites for dust control, compaction, irrigation and road construction. It consists of a tank with a sprinkler mounted on the front, side or back. Due to Australia’s climate, a water cart is essential on work sites for dust management to prevent environment hazards and more importantly the risk to people’s health. Water carts can also be used for soil compaction by wetting the soil in preparation for a roads sub base.
This training will give students the tools to plan and prepare a job for water cart operations, carry out routine operational checks, operate a water cart in conjunction with site procedures, transport and distribute water efficiently, shut down and secure the water cart and finally maintain a clean work environment to prevent workplace hazards.
All aspects of this course will be taught through written and practical teachings at our onsite training facility in Brisbane, within easy access to the airport. The course content will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Hazard identification and environmental issues
- Risk assessment and control measures
- Safe operating techniques of a water cart
- Routine operational checks
- Maintenance and isolation procedures
- Communication in the workplace
- Effective traffic management plans
- Emergency procedures in the workplace
- Housekeeping duties
The successful candidate will have the skills to demonstrate the following;
- Identify potential hazards in the workplace and report according to site procedures
- Implement the necessary control measures to prevent hazards from reoccurring
- Document water cart operations in compliance with health and safety standards and company policies and procedures
- Conduct all routine checks such as pre-start, start up and shut down procedures
- Inspect and organise the jobsite prior to work activities to ensure all requirements are met
- Operate water cartsafely and efficiently and make necessary adjustments relevant to the site conditions
- Distribute water effectively to ensure appropriate moisture content of soil and to suppress dust
- Identify the characteristics and capabilities of the various water pumps and water distribution systems
- Maintain water cart and associated equipment, detect any faults and isolate according to site procedures
- Implement an effective traffic management plan and ensure isolation procedures are in place
- Understand soil types and the importance of compaction due to moisture content
- Estimate safe working load and earthwork calculations
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors and all other workplace personnel and ensure communication techniques such as two-way radios and hand signals are adhered to
On successful completion of this course, you will have the ability to conduct safe water cart operations in a variety of work environments.
Our highly skilled and knowledgeable trainers will ensure you have the confidence necessary to gain employment across many sectors specifically civil construction and mining.