At Emerald our “Articulated Haul Truck” course is designed to give students the confidence and skills necessary to safely conduct haul truck operations across many industries specifically the construction and mining industries. We offer extensive training in a small class setting, giving students the one-on-one support and guidance necessary to successfully complete this training.
An articulated haul truck is a large heavy-duty machine used to transport materials such as rock, sand and gravel over rough terrain. The truck consists of two parts, a tractor at the front and a dump body or hauler at the back.
This training course will give you the skills to successfully plan and prepare a job for haul truck operations, conduct all operational checks including pre-start and shut down, operate a haul truck safely and competently, load, transport and dump material efficiently to a designated area, carry out maintenance checks and follow isolation procedures accordingly and finally maintain a clear and hazard free work area.
All components of this course will be taught through written and practical teachings at our onsite training facility in Brisbane, within easy access to the airport. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Hazard identification and environmental issues associated with haul truck operations
- Risk assessment and control measures
- Routine operational checks
- Safe operating techniques
- Capabilities and limitations of a haul truck
- Transportation, haulage, and dumping of materials
- Parking, shutting down and isolating a haul truck
- Maintenance and refuelling
- Housekeeping duties
- Health and safety regulations, Australian standards and site traffic codes
- Reporting and Documentation of haul truck operations
- Written, verbal and visual communication in the workplace
On successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and practical experience to carry out the following;
- Identify, monitor and report potential hazards and environmental issues in the workplace using safe work practices
- Implement necessary control measures using the hierarchy of control to avoid hazards from reoccurring
- Choose the appropriate personal protective equipment for haul truck operations in varying site conditions
- Conduct all operational checks including pre-start, start-up and shut down procedures
- Operate a haul truck in line with the changing site and work conditions
- Position a haul truck for excavators, wheel loaders and other loading equipment to ensure safe loading of materials.
- Transport materials in a safe and compliant manner to a designated area
- Perform maintenance tasks, report defective plant and equipment and isolate according to site procedures
- Communicate effectively with machine operators, co-workers and all other workplace personnel and ensure communication methods such as hand signals, two-way radios and signage are adhered to
- Comply with all relevant legislation and site policies and procedures associated with haul truck operations
The successful applicant will have the knowledge and competency to carry out haul truck operations in compliance with all relevant health and safety legislation, across many different worksites in Australia.
Our highly skilled and experienced trainers at Emerald will ensure you have the confidence and assurance necessary to gain employment in many industries specially the construction and mining industries.