At Emerald, we have developed a detailed training plan for our backhoe/loader course “Conduct backhoe/loader operations” providing students with the skills and practical experience to safely operate a backhoe/loader across many jobsites in Australia.
A backhoe loader is a tractor like machine that consists of a bucket on the front and a backhoe on the back. Backhoe loaders are very common and can be used for multiple tasks including small demolition jobs, landscaping, transporting materials and breaking asphalt. The backhoe loader has numerous attachments available such as buckets, rock breakers and couplers extending the machines versatility across many work environments.
Our backhoe loader training will teach students how to plan and prepare for backhoe operations, carry out before and after operational checks and perform shutdown procedures, operate a backhoe in a safe and efficient way, safely transport materials, choose and fit the correct attachments, relocate the backhoe between sites and finally maintain a clean work environment.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our highly knowledgeable trainers at our onsite training facility in Brisbane through written and practical teachings. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- WHS legislation, Australian standards and codes of practice
- Hazard identification, risk assessment and the necessary control measures
- Safe operating techniques of a backhoe/loader
- Routine operational checks and shutdown procedures
- Characteristics and limitations of various backhoe attachments
- Maintenance checks and isolation procedures
- Relocation of the backhoe between worksites
- The importance of and effective traffic management plan
- Earthwork calculations
- Different types of soil and rock
- Effective communication in the workplace
In successful completion of this course, students will have the ability to demonstrate the following;
- Identify potential hazards associated with backhoe operations and report accordingly
- Implement control measures to prevent hazards from reoccurring using the hierarchy of control
- Conduct before and after operational checks of the backhoe such as machine controls, brakes and attachments
- Operate a backhoe loader in many different work settings
- Ensure proper techniques are used when stripping topsoil, backfilling, trench excavation and cutting and boxing to name a few
- Understand the capabilities and limitations of the backhoe and associated equipment
- Select, fit and remove the relevant attachments for the specified job being carried out
- Shut down the backhoe and check for defects, isolate if needed according to site procedures
- Prepare the backhoe for relocation to a designated area
- Maintain a clean work area in conjunction with the company’s environmental management plan
- Calculate safe working loads and earthwork calculations
- Interpret site drawings and plans
- Recognise the different materials such as clay, stone, gravel and the various rock types like metamorphic and sedimentary
- Comply with safety legislation, site-specific instructions and procedures such as JSA’s and safe work method statements
The successful applicant will acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to safely operate a backhoe/loader in various work environments within Australia.
Our highly knowledgeable trainers at Emerald will ensure you have the support and assurance necessary to gain employment in multiple industries including civil construction, miningand more.