The purpose of our training to “Conduct civil construction scraper operations” is to give students the skills and knowledge necessary to complete scraper operations in many different work settings including construction, mining and offshore drilling.
The greatest benefit in training with Emerald is that our courses are carried out in a small class environment, giving you the required one-on-one time with our highly knowledgeable trainers. This will give you the maximum hands-on practical experience necessary, in successfully completing your scraper operations course.
A scraper is a large heavy-duty machine consisting of a vertically moveable hopper with a sharp horizontal blade on the back, used for removing unnecessary materials from a surface. When the machine is moving, the material is scraped up by the blade and placed in the hopper, as soon as the hopper is full the material is hauled away to a designated area. The scraper is extremely versatile due to the many attachments available and can be used for numerous tasks including digging, hauling and dumping of materials.
This course is designed to give students the ability to plan and prepare a job for scraper operations, conduct before and after operational checks, operate a scraper safely and efficiently, couple machines with other operators, relocate scraper from site to site and finally maintain a clean work environment.
All aspects of this course will be taught at our onsite training facility in Brisbane through written and practical teachings. The course content will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Health and safety legislation, Australian standards and codes of practice
- Hazard identification and control measures
- Safe operating techniques of a scraper
- Routine operational checks
- Characteristics and functions of scraper attachments
- Maintenance and isolation procedures
- Relocation of a scraper between worksites
- Soil types and compaction
- Earthwork calculations
- Written, verbal and visual communication methods
The successful candidate will have the skills to carry out the following;
- Identify hazards and environmental issues in the workplace using safe work practices
- Apply the necessary control measures using the hierarchy of controls
- Carry out all routine checks including pre-starts, start-up and shutdown procedures
- Conduct scraper operations such as stripping surface materials, cutting and filling materials, and stockpiling
- Select and fit the appropriate attachments for the task in hand and understand their capabilities and limitations
- Maintain scraper and associated equipment and report any defects according to site procedures
- Prepare the machine for relocations from site to site
- Conduct housekeeping duties and maintain a hazard free worksite
- Understand the various soil types and their compaction
- Estimate safe working loads and earthwork calculations
- Interpret site drawings and plans
- Prepare documentation for all elements of scraper operations
- Effectively communicate in the workplace with personnel specifically other operators during coupling and ensure communication techniques such as hand signals and two=way radios are adhered to
On successful completion of this training, you will have the knowledge and practical experience to efficiently carry out scraper operations in compliance with industry health and safety standards.
At Emerald, our highly skilled trainers will give you the support and confidence necessary to gain future employment in many industries across the country including construction, mining and more.