Our EWP Training Program Details And Requirements.
At Emerald, our Yellow Card training will ensure students are trained in the use and operation of elevated work platforms (EWP’s) including a vertical Lift, scissor lift, trailer/truck mounted boom lift or Boom lifts under 11m.
An elevated work platform (EWP) can be a telescopic, hinged or an articulated mechanical device used to support a platform where workers, materials and equipment can be raised. Elevated work platforms are mainly used on construction sites for temporary access to areas that are hard to reach.
There are two main types of elevated work platforms, a boom type where the platform is supported by a hinged member that can be telescoped or slewed and a scissor type where the platform can only be moved in a vertical direction. There are several factors that will determine the suitability of the EWP to be used including ground conditions, the height that needs to be accessed, the weight of the load and whether the work is to be completed indoors or outdoors.
The EWP ticket in Brisbane will give you the necessary tools to plan and prepare a job for EWP operations of under 11metres, conduct operational checks, operate an EWP under changing conditions, safely park, secure and prepare the EWP for relocation and finally maintain a clean work area.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our highly knowledgeable trainers through written and practical teachings at our training facility in Brisbane. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Hazard identification and risk assessment
- Routine operational checks
- How to operate and manoeuvre and EWP safely and competently
- Parking, shutting down and isolation of an EWP
- Relocation of an EWP
- Personal Protective Equipment including the various types of harnesses
- Ground conditions and soil types
- Emergency procedures
- Logbook record keeping
- Manufacturers specifications and requirements
On successful completion of this course, students will have the capabilities to demonstrate the following;
- Identify and report potential hazards such as underground services, ground conditions, powerlines and environmental issues.
- Implement necessary control measures using the hierarchy of control to prevent hazards from reoccurring and ensure appropriate use of personal protective equipment
- Conduct all routine checks including pre-start, start up and shut down checks
- Set up and operate EWP’s under 11 metres in a safe and secure manner.
- Perform duties safely at heights and ensure proper use of appropriate tools.
- Attach a fall arrest harness to prevent falls from occurring.
- Establish emergency procedures in the event of a fall.
- Knowledgeable of the various emergency lowering devices on an EWPincluding bleed valves, hand operated pumps and a hydraulic accumulator
- Record all pre-start checks and faults in the EWP’s logbook
- Comply with health and safety regulations and site policies and procedures
The successful applicant will have the skills and practical experience to operate an Elevated Work Platform under 11 meters in many work environments across Australia. You will be issued with a statement of Attainment for the unit of competency completed.
At Emerald, our highly skilled trainers will ensure you have the confidence necessary to gain future employment in many industries including the construction and manufacturing industries.